Click on a title below to view:
Updated September 20, 2013
Job Type: Part Time
The Tutor is responsible for assisting at-risk teenagers in the area of homework assistance and improved literacy. Knowledge of NYC HS curriculum including Regents subjects and SAT prep preferred. Sites available in Harlem, Jamaica, East New York,
and South Bronx. Employment will begin in September.
Major Duties & Responsibilities:
- Model and uphold all Agency rules.
- Meet with case workers to discuss youths’ academic progress or difficulties
as well as behavioral issues that may affect learning.
- Provide individual and small group tutoring.
- Present ideas and suggestions for improving programs as often as possible.
When presenting a problem or offering constructive criticism,
also offer an alternate solution.
- Build positive relationships with youth and staff and serve as a role model with respect to demeanor, communication and behavior.
- Create stimulating lessons or activities that enhance grade appropriate learning.
- Observe and document youth who appear to have weaknesses in academic areas.
- Respond to any requests the case worker may provide with regard to the educational needs of a youth.
- Afternoon & Evening Hours
- Submit weekly, monthly, written and verbal reports as requested.
- Attend staff meetings.
- Ability to work with at-risk teenagers from diverse backgrounds.
- Prior tutoring experience with high school curriculum including Regents subjects.
- Associates Degree preferred. Current college students also encouraged to apply..
Please send a cover letter, resume, and salary requirements to:
Jamilah Clark, MSW, at email@example.com
Please put the high school subjects you can proficiently tutor in the subject line
The information presented indicates the general nature and level of work expected of employees in this classification. It is not designed to contain, or be interpreted as a comprehensive inventory of all duties, responsibilities, qualifications and objectives required of employees assigned to the job.
The Police Athletic League, Inc. does not discriminate on the basis of actual or perceived age, race, creed, color, ethnicity, gender, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, national origin or citizen/veterans status or on the basis of any other characteristic protected by law.
Back to Top